| Search | Feedback
Poisonous Plants of Florida
Florida has many beautiful plants. But some can be dangerous. Ingestion or
contact with some of these plants may cause symptoms ranging from skin, eye and mouth
irritation, pain, breathing problems, allergic reactions, stomach pain, vomiting,
diarrhea, coma or even death. Below are photos and descriptions of some of the most
common poisonous plants and the effects contact or ingestion of them may have. We
have also provided contact points below for the Poison Information Centers in Florida if
an emergency should arise.|
HOW TO HELP PREVENT POISONING
ACCIDENTS FROM PLANTS:
- Recognize the plants in your surroundings. Know which are poisonous.
Purchase non-toxic plants for your home and garden.
- Remove and destroy poisonous plants from your home and garden and ask your neighbors
to do the same.
- Teach children that putting leaves, stems, flowers, seeds, berries or wild mushrooms
in their mouths is dangerous. Be aware that these plants may also be poisonous to
- Keep a bottle of Syrup of Ipecac in your home (do not use unless instructed to do so
by your physician or the poison information center).
- Keep a Poison Information Center number near your telephone.
- Call your doctor or a poison information center as soon as the exposure occurs.
If asked to go to the emergency room take part of the plant, seeds, or berries with
you to aid identification.
- Never eat wild mushrooms and destroy mushrooms that appear in the yard. Forage
for your mushrooms in the produce department of your grocery store.
- Learn more about the plants in your surroundings.
Plant of the Month
Tips | Soils
and Climates | Hardiness
Gardening | Build
A Greenhouse | Florida
Palms | Poisonous
Plants | Privacy
Weeds | Florida
Gardens | Extension
Offices | Water
Conservation | Dr. Nehrling
Copyright 1999-2010 FloridaGardener.com
All Rights Reserved.